Friday, November 19, 2004

I'm feeling lucky

I think I'm getting obsessed with Google these days. I have google as my wallpaper, google as my homepage, and I think I'll soon be following slomo's principle of website aceess. Slomo's algorithm to open rediff.com
1) Open google
2) Search for rediff
3) Click on the link for rediff.com


If this obsession continues, I might soon be launching a local chapter of Google fan club (if there is none yet). Google has been my staple website to find anything and everything under the sun - research papers and articles, recipes for special occassions (gaajar ka halwa, nariyal ke laddu), address of some vague location, songs (like B to the A to the B to the A, hakkinen song), games like pacman and daves, software to watch pirated movies, deals for my first big purchase - a digital camera, and images for this blog. It will find answers for any question, no matter how stupid - how to rob a bank and escape from the universe.


My friend Reddy pulled off the ultimate stunt. We were in our eight semester at IIT and working on our BTech projects. Reddy just felt like cheching out the google store. Lucky dog, he found all the structural drawings for the Infosys food court in Hyderabad. He even wanted to thank google in his acknowledgements. Following his success, I too tried the same, but google gave me a spanking and asked me to go back to the lab.


If something says "aaj meri kismat acchi hai", it is not Reddy, but Google. Yes! Google has had its search interface in telugu, tamil, hindi and bengali for quite some time now(let alone chinese, japanese, german, spanish etc). Coming up with new features with an incredible frequency, this year has been quite a party time for all the google fans.

4 Comments:

Blogger totti said...

i like google too..check the google desktop searching tool! try googlefighting two names.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware of that desktop search. If u r away from ur pc, it will give access to the doc anybody wants to have a peek at , in a jiffy!!! real fast as it keeps indexing. but a major security threat. not jus my words, check on Net if in doubt. Luckily, it allows only Administrator users to search.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks ... I have already uninstalled the Desktop seach ... seemed to be very intrusive :)

Don

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

watch "If u r away from ur pc." The weakest link in the security chain.... if you leave your wallet, that will go too, Don. Not enough reason to get rid of the desktop search. Your admin can install the desktop and search for a document, if he/she so wishes.

Have you tried Picasa? Nice image tool from Google.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home