Saturday, October 09, 2004

Pre-compilation jitters

After churning out a zillion lines of code you are all set to run it. Just two keys Ctrl+R hold your destiny in them. You realize that in a few moments the result of your hand-aching effort of the last week will be out. The infinite number of loops, the multidimensional arrays, the scary pointers, the sub-sub-sub-functions, and all the random characters that you keyed into the program will be put to test. You know that what has to be done is already done. There are bound to be some errors and that Ctrl + R is just a formality. But still you feel something very strange. Your stomach begins to feel funny. I have been one such victim for the past few days. In such circumstances we (at least I) undergo many physiological changes. My fingers begin a tremble a bit. I'm sure my hearbeat goes down to 42 from the current 72 (don't ask why 42, I just happen to like it). There is definitely a change in my blood pressure (msot likely it decreases). I almost break into a cold sweat. Now in some cases I also get goosebumps. It vaguely reminds me of a similar feeling. When I used to travel from our town to our village in the orange bus and it felt very nauseating feeling. I had no option but to go on with it.


But finally Ctrl + R happens. The compiler finds some errors. You make appropriate correstions. And its Ctrl + R again. After a few iterations of this procedure ... the code tastes really sweet .. ummmm.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More so when you are actually going to run code. Imagine six threads, a linked list, and a semaphore to lock them all (pun intended). And once you hit F5, you let loose a barrage that will take you days to figure out.

What's funny though is that I feel like getting down on my knees and praying to some invisible power before hitting run. Though, I clearly know that what had to be done was done and now, it is all just a deterministic execution.

Sanketh

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sanketh .. You will definitely have more to say than me in this regard.

Don

3:50 AM  
Blogger totti said...

Do you like 42 because it is the answer to all questions regarding life? Wonder how god felt when he wrote the program, executed it but sees that the program running with multitude of bugs roaming freely around.Lots of threads stemming,but will stem the flow for now :-)

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home