Thursday, May 19, 2005

Time

Time has been one of the most elusive concepts for ordinary mortals, at least me. Time does not give you second chances. There are times, which I treasure, to relive which I would do anything. And, there are times, I repent, to correct which I would do anything. There are situations when the value of time seems to increase as the clock ticks by. The closer you get to the end, the more valuable each second becomes. And, at the end, you feel that you have fallen short. I recollect such moments in my life, and my heart pleads .. God, give me some more time.

It was a typical June morning, with the sun shining into my eyes. I was leaving home for higher studies and it was the first time away. I looked at my mother, standing by the gate, trying to conceal her tears, tying to put up a brave face, trying a forced smile, waving good bye. My heart pleaded .. God, give me one more minute.

It was the independence day parade at our town municipal grounds. The best parade performaces are awarded and we deserved one this time. The school platoon had practiced hard and I was the platoon commander. I guess we were doing well till I ended up on the wrong foot during the salute to the chief guest. I was sure I had ruined my teams chances of winning the prize. I wished to be given one more chance. My heart pleaded .. God, give me one more minute.

One of those days, I was standing next to this pretty girl. And, I had wanted to talk to her for quite some time. But, I could not get myself to talk, and I felt more than content just standing there. Time ticked away and she walked away, while I was still thinking of a way to start a conversation. My heart pleaded .. God, give me one more minute.



I went to my village for the holidays. And, I had sprinted to my grand father's place from the railway station. There were a lot of relatives in our home, which was very uncommon. My father told me that my grand mother had passed away. Childhood memories came fleeting, and I wished to talk to my grand mother for one last time. My heart pleaded .. God, give me one more minute.

It was one of those sultry summer evenings. After four years, I was heading home, leaving behind my hostel, leaving behind my friends, leaving behind the best days of my life, for ever. My friends helped me carry my luggage to the taxi standing outside the hostel. None of them would speak, since none knew what to say. None of us were sure if we would ever meet again. This could be the last time. But still none of us spoke, since none knew what to say. My heart pleaded .. God, give me one more minute.

I was having an early lunch since I had to catch a train. I was flying out of the country following the train journey. My aunt had made my favorite daal and my favorite curry. I sat there, beneath the fan, nibbling at my lunch, and my aunt was looking at me. None of us spoke. My heart pleaded .. God, give me one more minute.

There are these happy moments, the sad ones, the anxious times, and the nervous ones. I realized one thing, all these situations had something in common. Speechlessness. Time won everytime while I stared in silence.

6 Comments:

Blogger totti said...

Hey guru..nice one. the other day i had a dream that i started smoking.! donnie. when r u coming to east coast?

8:19 PM  
Blogger No talent "Ash" clown said...

Don's excellent adventure: (loosely based on Bill & Ted's excellent adventure)

A genius inventor reads this blog, gets hajaar senti and builds a time machine. The UN buys it from him and use it to "create" peace in the world. In doing so they change the space-time continuum and don's life changes. He speaks to the pretty girl, falls in love with her and marries her. This blog is in danger of not being written. Then somebody from the future comes back and reminds don of the importance of time, putting maajor senti and thus saves the blog.

How is the storyline for your next movie? :)

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this article man. Jokes apart its very good though a tad senti.

Subbu.
Remember me? Got here from totti blog.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Neat blog, ben a regular visitor since that Wanna be a superhero materpiece :) Here's some unrelated tidbits on time:
To realize the value of ONE YEAR….
ask a student who failed a grade
To realize the value of ONE MONTH…..
ask a mother who gave birth to a premature baby
To realize the value of ONE WEEK……
ask the editor of a weekly newspaper
To realize the value of ONE HOUR……
ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.
To realize the value of ONE MINUTE….. ask a person who missed the train.
To realize the value of ONE SECOND…..ask a person who just avoided an accident.
To realize the value of ONE MILLISECOND…..ask the person who won a silver medal in the Olympics.

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of road trip are you guys going on ?

Redirected myself from Guru's blog - after that senti story, I am going to redirect myself again from yours.... ;)

Why the ($*@#()$@# did UT Austin make you this senti ?

Yours obviously ...

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of road trip are you guys going on ?

Redirected myself from Guru's blog - after that senti story, I am going to redirect myself again from yours.... ;)

Why the ($*@#()$@# did UT Austin make you this senti ?

Yours obviously ...

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home